Successfully managing change management
By Garrison Wynn, CSP
Want to know the real truth about change management? If people really believed in the change you are proposing, they would already be doing it!
The key to getting buy-in for change is in knowing the common obstacles that cause resistance and being ready to address all of them.
The 10 most common beliefs and reasons that people resist change
- There isn’t any real need for the change
- The change is going to make it harder for them to meet their needs
- The risks seem to outweigh the benefits
- They don’t think they have the ability to make the change
- They believe the change will fail
- They think the change process is being handled improperly by management
- The change is inconsistent with their values
- They believe those responsible for the change can’t be trusted
- They believe that the change will expose them as less competent or valuable
- They believe the change will create more work for them
These are common obstacles in many industries, and of course, there will be unique situations to your particular circumstance.
But sometimes we forget the basics and wonder why the specifics don’t work!
Change, at its core, is about simply doing something different. Managing that change requires knowing what will stop you.